Welcome to the South Boston Neighborhood House!
The Mission of the South Boston Neighborhood House (The Ollie) is “to support family and neighborhood life in South Boston.” This means we have something for everyone! As a settlement house, we look to meet the needs of the community and offer programs for everyone in South Boston: infants, children, teens, families, and seniors.
The South Boston Neighborhood House is the oldest continuously-operated community based non-profit in South Boston, and we’ve been going strong for 115 years! Find out how The Ollie can help you and your family today.
Our Mission and Guiding Principles:
- To positively impact the lives of South Bostonians
- To reach out and meet the needs of families experiencing social and economic stress; to be a safety net for our community’s most vulnerable residents
- To be viewed as a safe haven for children and families and elderly adults where social interaction, supervision, age-appropriate activities, and learning opportunities are ever-present
- To promote, encourage and develop healthy and whole families, literacy and school readiness, academic success and college preparedness, social, civic and life skills, health and wellness and independent living
Why Helping South Bostonians is Important
South Boston is changing. Here is what you need to know:
- Dense Population: Approximately 33,000 people living in three square miles.
- Gentrification: property values are increasing, rising median income, more new development
- Deprivation: 1/3 of South Boston’s children and families remain living in poverty
- Learn more here.
With help from everyone, especially young professionals moving to South Boston, we can make a real difference in the lives of the people living in our community.
Our caring begins with the infants and parents of our Family Engagement program and continues through the ‘Jet Setters’ of our Senior Program. Our commitment to providing quality programs that adapt and reflect the ever-changing needs of today’s families is paramount. Learn more about our programs here.